Randburg Harriers Club Championships 2019
One of the features of Randburg Harriers is the annual Club Championships, which is aimed at recognising athletic achievement across genders, ages and race distances. In the past, the Club Champs ran over a calendar year, but for various reasons, this has been changed to the “Committee year”, which runs from roughly October in one year to September of the following year.
How does it work?
The Club Captain, in consultation with the Club Committee, selects a set of races over a twelve-month period, covering distances from a 5 km parkrun to a 50 km ultramarathon. The Comrades Marathon is also included, but the prizes that are awarded for this event are somewhat different, and the Comrades Marathon prize-giving is also held soon after the running of the race. For all the other events, the prize-giving is held at the conclusion of the series of events.
The following criteria are considered in selecting the events:
- They should be spaced out fairly evenly through the year.
- They should be accessible, and where possible, preference is given to events that are closer to our feeder area (Randburg).
- They should be popular events, as gauged by historical participation.
The races that have been selected for the current year are as follows:
|Randburg Harriers Club Championship Events 2019|
|32 km||RAC 32 km Tough One||25-Nov-18|
|15 km||Varsity Kudus 15 km||05-Jan-19|
|42.2 km (marathon)||Jeppe Marathon||10-Feb-19|
|50 km ultramarathon||Om die Dam 50 km||16-Mar-19|
|5 km parkrun||Bryanston parkrun||06-Apr-19|
|Comrades ultramarathon||Comrades Marathon 87 km||09-Jun-19|
|10 km||Pirates 10 km||28-Jul-19|
|21.1 km (half marathon)||Rockies Gerald Fox Memorial 21.1 km||15-Sep-19|
|8 km time trial||Randburg Harriers Thursday evening 8 km time trial||26-Sep-19|
The Club Champs events therefore include road races of between 10 and 50 km, as well as the Comrades Marathon (87-90 km). In addition, there is an 8 km time trial event, and a recent addition has been a 5 km parkrun event. This is the fourth year that a parkrun has been included in the Club Champs, and after selecting Delta, Alberts Farm and Golden Harvest in the past three years, we will move to a flatter, faster route at Bryanston this year.
The Club Championship Rules are as follows:
- For each event, there is a trophy for the overall Club Champion (male and female).
- Awards are also made to competitors in each age group (from Junior through to Great Grandmaster, both male and female).
- Junior athletes must meet the age criteria specified for road running events by the provincial governing body, Central Gauteng Athletics.
- For the 8 km time trial event, Junior athletes must be 12 years or older on the day of the event.
- Competitors are required to compete in Randburg Harriers club colours, and to wear the appropriate age category tags.
- Competitors are responsible for ensuring that they complete the entry forms, tear-off slips or entry tags neatly and accurately, so that their results are captured correctly.
- Competitors must compete in the event on race day. Results from, for example, helpers’ runs will not be considered.
- The results that are published on the Chamberlains Timekeeping website (www.raceresults.co.za) or any other website that the race organisers may employ will be used to determine the results of the Randburg Harriers Club Championship events.
- For the Comrades Marathon, trophies are awarded to the first athlete to finish, the first female athlete, the first novice athletes (male and female), and to all age group winners (from Senior through to Grandmaster, male and female). There is also a Hard Luck trophy, a Most Improved trophy, and a trophy for the youngest athlete to finish.
The Randburg Harriers Club Championships provides an opportunity for athletes of all ages and abilities to compete against their fellow club members. Traditionally, prize-winners have received a miniature trophy to commemorate their achievements, and in recent years, a high-quality certificate has also been awarded. Bragging rights are guaranteed to all the winners!
If you have any queries or questions regarding the annual Club Championships, please contact our Club Captain, John Neale.